The Green Party and the Independent Party are both much smaller rivals to the two main political parties in the United States - the Democratic Party and the Republican Party.
The Greens have been active as a third party in the United States since 2001. The party first gained widespread public attention during Ralph Nader's presidential runs in 1996 and 2000. Currently, the primary national Green Party organization in the U.S. is the Green Party of the United States, which has eclipsed the earlier Greens/Green Party USA.
There are several Independent Parties in the United States. Among them are:
- American Independent Party (California)
- Independent Party of Connecticut
- Independent Party of Delaware
- Independent Party of Oregon
- The Independent Party is a name chosen by Ralph Nader for his 2008 presidential campaign to gain easier ballot access in some states
"Green Party vs Independent Party." Diffen.com. Diffen LLC, n.d. Web. 20 Sep 2014. < http://www.diffen.com/difference/Green_Party_vs_Independent_Party >