IBM and Accenture are both in Gartner's leader quadrant for ERP Service Providers in North America.
|Accenture As An ERP Services Provider||IBM As An ERP Services Provider|
|Gartner Magic Quadrant||Leader quadrant||Leader quadrant|
Strengths of IBM
- IBM has the most extensive combination of technical and process skills across a large
number of industries. As such, IBM is a viable candidate for the largest array of ERP projects.
- IBM clients consistently cited its ability to develop a partnering relationship and project
management as some of the strengths experienced on engagements.
- IBM has continued to make significant investments in intellectual property to reduce the
time to market and increase global delivery capabilities to address the continued high demand for optimization of ERP engagements in global sourcing mode.
Cautionary notes on IBM
- IBM clients often cite variability in resourcing of projects (getting the right skills at the right time), which has led to struggles in meeting client expectations.
- IBM's extensive organization, with the potential for a client to leverage several different practice areas (including ERP), is often one reason that clients seek out IBM. However, client feedback indicates that the ability for IBM to demonstrate the benefits is sometimes lacking.
- IBM's investments in accelerators and industry templates have been substantial; however, traction with clients has not yet been proved, and examples of significant reductions in the time to market of solutions are limited.
Strengths of Accenture
- Accenture's combination of industry, functional and technical skills executed in a matrix structure makes it a strong candidate for a large majority of the ERP initiatives.
- Accenture's recognized brand and geographic reach across all major regions continue to put the company on shortlists for some of the largest and most-complex global engagements.
- Accenture continues to invest heavily and maintain strong positioning in two critical areas: global delivery models (use of "nearshore"/offshore resources) and strong partnering relationships with the leading technology vendors.
Cautionary notes on Accenture
- Accenture's ongoing ability to include a larger volume of efficiency-based deals in its portfolio of services is a challenge.
- Accenture clients cite that specific tasks and resources are priced at a premium compared with the market.
- Accenture has launched targeted sales programs and tailored offerings to the middle market. Clients need to apply additional due diligence because both are new territory for the company.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for ERP Service Providers in North America, September 2007