This is an unbiased comparison of the political positions and policies of senate election candidates. Maria Cantwell and Michael Baumgartner in Washington. Cantwell is a Democrat and Baumgartner is a Republican.
Cantwell defeated Baumgartner to win re-election.
- Baumgartner Jan 2012 Let business create jobs without government red tape
- Cantwell Sept 2000 Opposes making income tax flatter & lower
- Baumgartner Jan 2012 Do not betray the promises made to our grandparents
- Cantwell Sept 2006 Absolutely oppose payroll taxes to create private accounts
- Baumgartner Jan 2012 Replace Obamacare with more competition and flexibility
- Cantwell Sept 2000 Supports More Federal Funding for Health Coverage
- Baumgartner Apr 2012 No unfettered teen access to emergency contraceptive Plan B
- Cantwell Oct 2006 Roe v. Wade is US law and WA law, so uphold it
- Baumgartner Apr 2012 Opposes DREAM Act; reform guest worker criteria
- Cantwell March 2008 Voted YES on continuing federal funds for declared "sanctuary cities"
- Baumgartner April 2012 Opposes gay marriage
- Cantwell June 2006 Voted NO on constitutional ban of same-sex marriage
- Baumgartner Jan 2012 Invest in public schools and colleges
- Cantwell Oct 2007 Voted YES on additional $10.2B for federal education & HHS projects
Differences in Foreign Policy
Position on Iran
- Baumgartner Jan 2012 It is time to end the wars
- Cantwell Sept 2007 Voted NO on designating Iran's Revolutionary Guards as terrorists
- Baumgartner Jan 2012 Use America's abundant and diverse energy supplies
- Cantwell Sept 2000 Supports spending resources to stop Global Warming
|Poll source||Date(s) administered||Maria Cantwell (D)||Michael Baumgartner (R)|
|Public Policy Polling||February 16–19, 2012||51%||36%|